May 2, 2020 | 7:42am
Broadway star Nick Cordero has been taken off a ventilator, marking a milestone for the actor in his battle with the coronavirus, his elated wife revealed.
“He is on the trach! They did it, and he’s OK, and he is free of the ventilator,” Amanda Kloots announced Friday on Instagram stories.
Cordero, 41, had a tracheostomy to help remove him from the cumbersome ventilator, Kloots said. A “trach” involves creating a hole in a person’s windpipe to insert an oxygen tube.
Doctors had been waiting for Cordero’s health to improve before performing the procedure, Kloots said.
“We have been trying to do this for Nick for so many weeks now, and it just kept getting stalled and pushed back because of his health,” the fitness trainer told her followers.
Cordero has been in intensive care at Cedars Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles since early April, and has lost his leg due to complications from coronavirus.
By April 24, test results showed the virus was out of his system, Kloots said.
“This is just amazing news guys, because we really needed this to happen, to get him off that ventilator,” Kloots said Friday. “This is a lot more comfortable for Nick, I think he will be feeling, even subconsciously, feeling better, and I hope this is a great sign for some good recovery days ahead.”
Kloots, 39, has been chronicling Cordero’s health batter on her Instagram account.
The couple share a 10-month-old son, Elvis.