Harry and Meghan’s British Columbia stay cost Canadian taxpayers more than $40,000 USD after the couple fled to Canada in wake of Megxit, according to RCMP documents obtained by the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.
The cost of protecting the couple during their two month stay came to $56,384.52 Canadian dollars, or more than $40,000 US dollars.
Harry and Meghan’s security and who will pay for it has been a subject of much debate. In March it was reported that the couple had left Canada to set up home in California and they are now living at tycoon Tyler Perry’s mansion in Los Angeles.
The figures, obtained by Canadian Taxpayers Federation, a taxpayer advocacy group, show the cost between November 18, 2019 and January 19 this year; it does not include fees after that.
And the bill does not include the salaries paid to the Mounties; it shows extra costs including overtime, travel and meals.
Policing for the couple is understood to have continued until March 14. In a statement a spokesman for the RCMP said: ‘For security reasons and to protect our operations, we are not releasing salary costs. Security costs for protection are covered through the existing operational budget.
But National Division commanding officer Bernadine Chapman wrote in emails on January 10: ‘We are having a greater conversation next week on the go forward on this. This has a potential to cost us huge!’
Harry and Meghan’s decision to move to California came following the news the Canadian authorities would not contribute to the cost of protecting them with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police after March 31.
It is unclear who is paying for their security bill in the US, though friends of the Sussexes say the couple would be paying for protecting out of their own pocket.
Harry and Meghan’s security and who will pay for it has been a subject of much debate. The couple are pictured arriving back into Canada in February
Pictures taken in January had shown Meghan as she was followed by two royal protection officers on a walk through the Horth Hill Regional Park near the opulent Vancouver Island mansion they were living in
In March it was reported Prince Charles will also make £2million contribution to their £4million-a-year security bill. Donald Trump had tweeted to say US taxpayers would not contribute towards protecting them.
‘The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have no plans to ask the U.S. Government for security resources,’ a Sussex spokesman said. ‘Privately funded security arrangements have been made.’
It was unclear whether this meant UK taxpayers would no longer have to contribute towards any future bill.
Last month it was reported the couple had hired an exclusive A-list security firm to protect them for £7,000 per day.
The couple are said to be using the firm also used by a slew of A-listers, including Jeff Bezos and Tom Hanks.
The team watching the royals in LA is believed to have been handpicked by Gavin de Becker, 65 – a former security chief for President Ronald Reagan.
Canada’s prime minister Justin Trudeau had tweeted before Christmas that Harry, Meghan and Archie ‘were among friends, and always welcome here’.
But the Mounties said they would no longer pay for their security after their status as working members of the royal family came to an end in March.
Nearly three quarters of Canadians surveyed in January said they did not want to pay for their move to the country or to pay for their security arrangements.
After the figures were made public Canadian Taxpayers Federation spokesman Aaron Wudrick said: ‘For months, the Trudeau government refused to even acknowledge Canadian taxpayers were on the hook for Harry and Meghan’s security costs. Now we know the answer is yes – to the tune of at least $50,000.’
Prince Harry arrives at Victoria International Airport in Victoria, British Columbia
The cost of protecting the couple during came to $56,384.52 Canadian dollars. That’s the total cost between November 18, 2019 and January 19 this year
The couple left Canada for LA and are now living tycoon Tyler Perry’s mansion
Pictures taken in January had shown Meghan as she was followed by two royal protection officers on a walk through the Horth Hill Regional Park near the opulent Vancouver Island mansion they were living in.
The Duke and Duchess are now understood to be looking to buy the home in the famous 90210 zip code, which is complete with a ‘granny annex’ for her mother Doria to live in.
The UK and US have a long standing reciprocal agreement when it comes to bodyguards protecting diplomats and members of the royal family.
President Trump’s Secret Service agents would have been allowed to carry their weapons on his state visit and likewise bodyguards for the Queen and Prince Charles when they made official trips to the US.
Having left the royal family the usual rules no longer apply to Harry and he would need to rely on President Trump to make an exception.
But the President tweeted in March to say US taxpayers would not contribute towards protecting them.
Harry and Meghan have been clear from the beginning that they wish to ‘stand on their own feet’ and there are already lucrative contracts in the pipeline, including one with the Oprah Winfrey Network.
The couple have been spotted only a handful of times since their move to Los Angeles, first volunteering for a local charity dropping off food to locals who are more at-risk of catching coronavirus, as well as taking their beloved dogs out for a walk.
It is unclear who is paying for the security bill in the US, though friends of the Sussexes say the couple would be paying for protecting out of their own pocket
Meghan was this week dragged into best friend Jessica Mulroney’s race row after the Canadian ‘threatened’ a black social media influencer in an argument over white privilege.
Canadian fashion stylist Mulroney, who attended Meghan’s wedding to the Duke of Sussex, has now said she is ‘stepping back’ from social media following an online disagreement with Sasha Exeter.
The controversy has seen the CTV network remove Mulroney’s reality show I Do, Redo from its channels, saying her ‘recent conduct… conflicts with our commitment to diversity and equality’.
Mulroney frequently appeared on Meghan’s Instagram page, before it was closed as the former actress prepared to join the Royal Family.
But Meghan Markle is said to be ‘absolutely mortified’ with her best friend’s ‘tone-deaf’ threats and can ‘no longer be associated with her’
A source told Dailymail.com: ‘Meghan is absolutely mortified that she’s been dragged into this complete mess. She said Jessica is in no way a racist, but the way she handled the situation (with the fashion influencer) was tone-deaf and heartbreaking’.